We thought we would use the story of The Snail and The Whale by Julia Donaldson this week. Don’t worry if you haven’t got the book, as The Snail and The Whale is available to watch on BBC iplayer for free, and you can also find various readings of it in youtube.
Today I would like you to watch/listen/read the story of The Snail and The Whale. Focus on the places that the Snail visited with the Whale on his exciting adventure:
1. Black rocks
3. Caves beneath the waves
4. Fiery mountains and golden sands
5. Tropical island
6. Tourist beach
7. The school
Can you draw and describe the things she saw on the way? Please can you describe the places using descriptive sentences. Eg The Snail saw towering, gleaming white icebergs soaring into the vast blue sky. It might help to brainstorm some description words first for each setting. Think about the description words that are used in the story, and try and add some of your own.
Remember you are practising your handwriting and drawing skills too. Don’t forget your High five sentences:
1. Full stops and capital letters
2. Handwriting is neat
3. My sentences make sense (read them back to yourself to make sure)
4. Clever spelling (use your phonics to help sound out words)
5. Use interesting words. (describing words, connecting words, sentence starters)
We look forward to your wonderful descriptions.